1/2 Photos of Onion Tart
1 hr 40 mins
This recipe was originally submitted by Mean Chef (IHHDRO). Since it had been sitting in my cookbook begging for attention for quite some time, I adopted it after he left this site. Today, I had the opportunity to finally try it. The blend of flavors is perfect. We served it as a side with grilled pork loin and salad, but it could easily be a meal entirely on its own. I can imagine it as a great brunch, lunch, or light dinner option with a just a leafy salad. Onions sauteed in butter and combined with cream and Parmesan in a flaky crust, what could you possibly not like about that?
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold, cut into small pieces, plus more for tart pan
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup ice water
- 1 1/2 lbs onions, finely chopped
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 pinch nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated or 1/4 cup swiss cheese
- 1Butter a 10-inch tart pan with removable bottom; set aside.
- 2Make the crust: In a medium bowl, combine flour and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- 3Add 8 tablespoons (1 stick) chilled butter, and combine with fingers or a pastry blender until it has the texture of coarse meal.
- 4Add 1/2 cup ice water, and stir just until a dough forms.
- 5Form into a disk, and wrap in plastic wrap.
- 6Chill for at least 15 minutes.
- 7Preheat oven to 375°.
- 8On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-inch-thick round.
- 9Fit dough into prepared tart pan; trim excess.
- 10Line with a parchment paper round, and fill with pie weights.
- 11Chill for 15 minutes.
- 12Transfer to oven, and bake for 15 minutes.
- 13Remove pie weights and parchment paper.
- 14Bake for 5 minutes more.
- 15Remove from oven, and set aside.
- 16In a large skillet, heat remaining 4 tablespoons butter.
- 17Add onions, and cook, stirring frequently, until slightly browned and softened, about 15 minutes.
- 18Remove from heat.
- 19In a small bowl, combine beaten egg, cream, remaining 1 teaspoon salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- 20Stir in onions.
- 21Sprinkle baked tart shell with cheese.
- 22Spread onion mixture evenly over cheese.
- 23Bake until set, 35 to 40 minutes.
- 24Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Weeknight Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Onion Tart
Serving Size: 1 (177 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 376.4
- Calories from Fat 222
- Total Fat 24.6 g
- Saturated Fat 15.1 g
- Cholesterol 95.3 mg
- Sodium 504.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 6.4 g