Recipe by JustJanS
I ate this in Malaysia. The menu description (spanked with fresh coriander leaves) cracked me up. The naan was truly delicious and more naan needs spanking IMO.
- 1⁄4 ounce active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup warm water, 100 F to 110 F
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup yogurt
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 3⁄4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup white all-wheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup ghee or 1⁄4 cup vegetable shortening
- flour, for dusting and rolling
- 2 tablespoons ghee or 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2 cups red onions, chopped very fine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne powder (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- Add sugar and yeast to warm water. Let stand 10 minutes. Add yogurt, ghee, and egg. Mix. we will call this yeast water.
- In a large bowl, mix salt and flours.
- Add yeast water, and knead about 12 minutes. Cover with a damp cloth, and let stand for about an hour till it doubles in size. Ideal room temperature for dough to work will be around 80ºF.
- Punch down dough. Knead again and let it stand another hour till double in size.
- Divide dough in 8 equal size balls. Each ball will make one Naan. If you wish, you may put these balls in a freezer zip-lock bag and freeze away. To thaw, put them in the refrigerator section over night.
- Onion Mixture:.
- Melt the Ghee in a large frying pan. Add the onion and cook 5 minutes or until softened. remove from the heat and add the seasoning and chopped cilantro. Set aside.
- Baking Naan:.
- Preheat oven to 450 ºF.
- Divide the dough ball into two smaller but equal balls.
- Roll out one dough ball by hand to about 5" diameter set aside.
- Roll out the second dough ball by hand to about 5" diameter. Sprinkle about one Tablespoon of onion evenly on the top.
- Put the saved 5" diameter dough on top of the onions. Press and roll out to 6" round, oval or triangular shape.
- Wet you hand and lightly brush the top of the Naan. Sprinkle some cilantro evenly on the surface as garnish. Press the chopped cilantro leafs onto the surface.
- Brush the top of the rolled Naan with melted Ghee.
- Grease a baking sheet. Put the Naan on the baking sheet. Bake 6 to 8 minutes.
- Repeat until all the Naan have been baked.