Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Vegetarian Times. Pan-fried flat breads are served at breakfast in India, but the crispy treats can be used for other meals as well. 192 cal; 5g prot; 8g fat; 29g carbs; 0mg chol; 148mg sod; 3g fiber; 2g sugars.
- 2 cups onions, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon jalapeno chile, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice (or 1/2 tsp amchoor)
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons canola oil or 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Filling: Combine all ingredients in a bowl.
- Dough: Pulse flour and salt in food processor until combined.
- Add 1 1/4 cups water, and process 2 minutes, or until smooth.
- Cover, and let stand 10 minutes.
- Roll dough into 8 balls, then dust with flour. Roll out each ball into a 3-inch circle.
- Place 2 tablespoons filling in center of each circle. Join dough edges together, and crimp tightly. Dust with flour once more. Place crimped-side down and roll into 6-inch circles.
- Oil iron griddle or heavy skillet, and heat over medium heat.
- Cook 1 dough circle for 1 to 2 minutes, or until bottom browns and is firm. Flip, and cook 1 to 2 minutes more.
- Lightly oil top of flat bread with 1/2 teaspoon oil. Turn over, and oil second side, pressing on flat bread several times to brown evenly. Repeat with remaining dough balls and oil.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.
Great flat bread. I served it with Best Balti chicken and it was a great meal. Will try the leftovers for breakfast.