Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
Taste just like what you get in the finer restaurants. Great snack!
- 2 large yellow onions
- 1 cup buttermilk pancake mix
- 1 cup sparkling water
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups sour cream
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
- Cut onions into very thin slices; separate into rings.
- In medium bowl, combine pancake mix, sparkling water, chili powder and salt; beat until smooth.
- In a large saucepan or deep fryer, heat oil to 375. Stir onions into batter. With 2 forks, lift onions from batter in small portions. Drop into hot oil just until surface of oil is cover with onions; fry 1 to 2 miniutes or until crisp and browned.
- Remove onions from hot oil; drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining onions. Refrigerate.
- In a small bowl; combine sour cream and taco seasoning mix; blend well. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- When ready to serve, heat oven to 375. Bake onions 10 minutes or until crisp. Stack on a platter and serve with dipping sauce.
These were so yummy! We used them to top some grilled burgers at a family get together and put the sauce on them as well and they were great! Even my 12 year old niece liked them...and she's picky! We will definitely be doing this again!
These were DELISH!! I didn't make the sauce as I used them as a topping on barbequed burgers. They were amazing and I will be making these again for sure! I used regular water and they turned out fine. If you want them to be more like onion rings, but sure to cut the rings larger, but thin like this was perfect as a condiment. Thanks for the FABULOUS recipe!!