2 hrs 40 mins
2 hrs 20 mins
I love onion soup, however I do not like how the traditional rendition allows the bread to get soggy. This version uses the portabellas as the platform for the cheese and is sure to please.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 portabella mushrooms
- 2 sweet onions (large)
- 1/2 cup sherry wine (sweet)
- 32 ounces beef broth
- 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce (sweet)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon basil (fresh, chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme (dried)
- 2 cups swiss cheese (shredded)
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- 1Clean portabella mushrooms and remove gills by gently scraping them out with a teaspoon.
- 2In a skillet melt 2 tablespoons of butter and saute mushrooms until tender.
- 3Slice each mushroom into bite sized pieces, divide into 4 piles (set aside).
- 4Clean and slice onions.
- 5In stock pot, melt 2 tablespoons of butter and saute onions until caramelized stirring frequently (about 2 hours on low).
- 6Add sherry, cook for 4-5 minutes on medium high heat or until you can't smell the alcohol odor anymore. (stirring frequently).
- 7Add beef broth, barbeque sauce, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, basil, thyme and bring to a boil for 1 minute, then reduce to simmer for 10 minutes.
- 8Use 4 oven proof bowls and ladle soup into each bowl.
- 9Place one pile of chopped mushrooms in each soup bowl and top with 1/2 cup Swiss cheese.
- 10Broil until cheese is bubbly.
- 11Remove from oven. Salt & pepper to taste.
Browse Our Top Low In... Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Onion Soup With Portabella Swiss Cheese Topping
Serving Size: 1 (476 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 500.8
- Calories from Fat 246
- Total Fat 27.4 g
- Saturated Fat 17.2 g
- Cholesterol 80.2 mg
- Sodium 1387.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 8.4 g
- Protein 20.2 g