From "The Cook and the Gardener" , a wonderful recipe that doesn't remotely resemble the -soggy raft of bread tied to a bowl with bad cheese-that many people call Onion Soup.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 -5 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 medium onions, thinly sliced
- coarse salt
- 5 cups chicken stock (I use a pareve mix to keep this recipe kosher)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmigiano
- 5 black peppercorns
- 3 white peppercorns
- 3 coriander seeds
- 1 pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 clove garlic
- 4 slices dry crusty bread
- 1Warm the butter and 2 tbl.
- 2olive oil over low heat and add onion and a bit of salt Cook slowly until the onion is meltingly soft (about 12-15 minutes).
- 3Add the stock.
- 4Taste and adjust seasoning.
- 5Bring to a boil, then simmer for 10 minutes Meanwhile, sprinkle the cheese in the bottom of 4 soup bowls.
- 6Crack the peppercorns and coriander seeds, then place them in a plastic bag and finely crush with a heavy sauceman or meat mallet Sprinkle this over the cheese along with the nutmeg.
- 7Rub the garlic over the bread and brush the slices with remaining olive oil on both sides Heat a dry saute pan over medium heat until very hot and add the bread until brown on both sides Break the bread into small pieces.
- 8Ladle the soup into bowls and serve with bread pieces.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Onion Soup with Parmigiano and Cracked Pepper
Serving Size: 1 (611 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 547.2
- Calories from Fat 224
- Total Fat 24.9 g
- Saturated Fat 6.9 g
- Cholesterol 24.2 mg
- Sodium 866.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 66.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 14.3 g
- Protein 15.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: