Prep 45 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Crock pot recipe that is easy to make and full of flavor.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 large onions, sliced (about 3 pounds)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 8 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup light cream cheese
- 6 slices whole wheat french bread, cut 1/2 inch slices, toasted
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leave
- Heat the oil in a dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onions and salt and cook, stiring occasionally, until deep golden brown and very soft, about 35 minutes. Sprinkle the flower over the onions and cook, stirring constantly, until the flower is lightly browned, about 2 minutes longer.
- Combine the onions, broth and 1/4 tsp of the black pepper in a 6 or 6 quart slow cooker. Cover and cook until the flavors are blended, 4-5 hours on high or 8-10 hours on low.
- Spread the cream cheese evenly over the slices of toasted french bread. Sprinkle evenly with the thyme and remaining 1/4 tsp pepper.
- Ladle the soup evenly into 6 bowls and float a slice of toast in each bowl of soup.
Absolutely wonderful! Sauted the onions until they were nice and carmelized. Made for a very dark soup, but wouldn't change a thing! The cream cheese toast was a nice change from the normal. Thnx for sharing your recipe, Tee Angel. Made for PAC Fall 2009.