Easy 5 minute prep; 34 minute cook time! Needs Special equipment: 4 (1 1/2-cup) oven-proof ramekins
- In a medium, heavy saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onions, salt, and pepper.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are tender. (10 mins).
- Add the thyme and broth. Simmer, uncovered, until the onions are soft. (15 mins).
- Divide soup between the 4 oven-proof ramekins.
- Divide the cubed bread among the ramekins.
- Top each with slices of fontina cheese.
- Place under the broiler, until the cheese is golden and bubbly (4 mins).
- Serve immediately.
This is such a simple preparation for onion soup. I did add garlic with my onions and additional seasonings to suit our tastes. I also cubed dense sourdough bread and toasted to top the soup instead of using ciabatta. Hubby was in heaven with 2 very full bowls.
The fontina and ciabatta take this basic onion soup to the next level. Very tasty!! You really can't go wrong Giada. Thanks for posting. Made for PAC Spring 2008.