Recipe by joymaudjee
Easy 5 minute prep; 34 minute cook time! Needs Special equipment: 4 (1 1/2-cup) oven-proof ramekins
Top Review by Ms B.
This is such a simple preparation for onion soup. I did add garlic with my onions and additional seasonings to suit our tastes. I also cubed dense sourdough bread and toasted to top the soup instead of using ciabatta. Hubby was in heaven with 2 very full bowls.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large vidalia onions, sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leave
- 4 cups beef broth
- 4 slices ciabatta, cubed
- 4 ounces Fontina cheese, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium, heavy saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onions, salt, and pepper.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are tender. (10 mins).
- Add the thyme and broth. Simmer, uncovered, until the onions are soft. (15 mins).
- Divide soup between the 4 oven-proof ramekins.
- Divide the cubed bread among the ramekins.
- Top each with slices of fontina cheese.
- Place under the broiler, until the cheese is golden and bubbly (4 mins).
- Serve immediately.