1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 15 mins
WI Cheesehead's Note:
From the local paper. We love French onion soup, so I wanted to try this recipe. A little time consuming, but worth it once in awhile for a special treat!
My Private Note
large b ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cut onions in half lengthwise, then into lengthwise slivers.
- 2In 5 to 6 quart kettle over medium heat, heat olive oil (or melt butter) and add onions. Cover and cook until limp, about 10 minutes.
- 3Uncover and cook, stirring often, until onions brown lightly, about 15 minutes.
- 4Reduce heat to medium-low if onions begin to brown too quickly.
- 5Mince 1 of the garlic cloves and add, along with flour and paprika, to onions, stirring to blend flour into mixture.
- 6Remove from heat and gradually stir in beer and 2 cups of the broth.
- 7Return to heat and bring to a boil, stirring.
- 8Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 1 hour. (Soup base can be cooled and refrigerated at this point for up to 2 days.).
- 9Preheat oven to 325°F.
- 10Place bread slices on a baking sheet. Peel remaining clove of garlic, cut it in half, and rub it on both sides of each bread slice.
- 11Bake in preheated oven until crisp and lightly browned, 30 to 40 minutes. Sprinkle each slice with 1 T of the Parmesan cheese.
- 12To the soup base, add remaining 6 cups broth; bring to a gentle boil and season to taste.
- 13Divide soup among 6 to 8 ovenproof serving bowls. Arrange bowls on a shallow, heat-proof baking sheet.
- 14Top each bowl with a slice of toasted French bread. Divide Swiss cheese evenly and sprinkle over bread slices.
- 15Place baking sheet about 6 inches below broiler and broil until cheese is bubbling and lightly browned, 6 to 8 minutes. Check periodically, since broilers are finicky. Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Onion Soup With Beer
Serving Size: 1 (3901 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 562.2
- Calories from Fat 238
- Total Fat 26.5 g
- Saturated Fat 9.3 g
- Cholesterol 38.5 mg
- Sodium 1306.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 56.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 7.2 g
- Protein 22.0 g