- 4 large onions, sliced
- 59.14 ml butter
- 1419.54 ml beef stock (rich) or 3 (893.00 g) can beef broth (with 2 cups water)
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 slice French bread, thickly sliced
- 59.16 ml parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a heavy pot over medium heat, brown the onions in the butter.
- Add the beef broth and bay leaf.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Pour the soup into an ovenproof casserole and cover with the bread slices.
- Sprinkle cheese over bread slices.
- Bake in preheated oven until the cheese has melted and is slightly browned.
- Serve immediately.