Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Based on a recipe from Beatrice Ojakangas’ book, The Finnish Cookbook. The Finnish version of French onion soup, mais oui?
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a heavy pot over medium heat, brown the onions in the butter.
- Add the beef broth and bay leaf.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Pour the soup into an ovenproof casserole and cover with the bread slices.
- Sprinkle cheese over bread slices.
- Bake in preheated oven until the cheese has melted and is slightly browned.
- Serve immediately.
A bit salty for me but otherwise good! I just broiled it since everything was out already. Made for ZWT9
So easy yet so flavorful. Loved the addition of the bay leaf. I did have to use Mozzarella cheese as I didn't have any Parmesan but it worked out great for us. Thenks for a great recipe. Made for Fall PAC
This was fantastic I LOVED it. Easy to make, very flavorful and great for a summer meal with a sandwich on the side. Will be making again!!! ZWT6