- 4 large onions, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 6 cups beef stock (rich) or 3 (10 1/2 ounce) cans beef broth (with 2 cups water)
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 slices French bread, thickly sliced
- 4 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a heavy pot over medium heat, brown the onions in the butter.
- Add the beef broth and bay leaf.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Pour the soup into an ovenproof casserole and cover with the bread slices.
- Sprinkle cheese over bread slices.
- Bake in preheated oven until the cheese has melted and is slightly browned.
- Serve immediately.