Adapted from the Dean & Deluca Cookbook. The D&D recipe calls for 2 tablespoons Calvados or applejack and 1 tablespoon lemon juice, which I don't use when I make the soup. I like this one because it's lighter and more vegetable-y than traditional French onion soup.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large pearl onion, sliced thin
- 5 medium leeks, sliced thin (white and pale green parts)
- 1 cup minced scallion (white parts, save the greens for the croutes)
- 1/2 cup minced shallot
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 7 cups chicken stock or 7 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup dry vermouth
- 1/2 cup apple cider
For the croutes
- 1Melt butter in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Stir in leeks, scallions, shallots, garlic, and 1 teaspoon of the ginger, and cook, still storring, for another 3 minutes.
- 2Stir in stock. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
- 3Stir in vermouth, cider, and remaining teaspoon of the ginger. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- 4While the soup is simmering, preheat broiler. Stir together goat cheese, half of the scallion greens, and black pepper. Toast the bread on the broiler until golden brown. Spread one side of each slice of the bread with the goat cheese mixture, and toast under the broiler until the cheese is lightly browned.
- 5Ladle soup into bowls, float a croute in each bowl, and sprinkle with remaining scallion greens. Serve.
Browse Our Top Onions Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Onion Soup W/Goat Cheese Croutes
Serving Size: 1 (448 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 490.4
- Calories from Fat 196
- Total Fat 21.8 g
- Saturated Fat 12.4 g
- Cholesterol 51.5 mg
- Sodium 853.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 7.6 g
- Protein 18.8 g