Recipe by Carmen B.
This is a fantastic soup especially on cold days. You can also put soup in individual onion soup bowls, add a few croutons and top with a handful of cheese; Mozzerella, Swiss, or whatever white cheese you like. Pop into oven on 350* and bake until cheese is melted and slightly golden.
- 4 -6 large onions
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 6 cups beef broth
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- salt & pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut up onion to your liking; sliced or cut in half width wise then into quarters then seperated.
- Cook onions slowly on medium-low heat in butter and oil in a covered saucepan for 15 min.
- Stir occasionally then uncover.
- Increase heat to medium and add sugar.
- Saute onions, stirring often, for about 30 min.
- or until onions turn golden brown.
- Sprinkle onions with flour and stir 2 to 3 min.
- Heat broth and wine and add to onions; adjust seasonings with salt and pepper.
- Simmer, partially covered, for 1 hour.