Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
An outstanding onion soup! A bit rich for regular consumption but perfect for a dinner party or special romantic occasion (as long as you both have it). Quick and easy as well.
- 2 tablespoons softened unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup onion, sliced thinly (1 medium)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil leaf, cut into thin strips
- Knead the butter and flour together with your hands.
- In a saucepan cook the onion in the oil over moderate heat stirring, until it softens; add the broth and bring to a boil.
- Whisk in the butter mixture in small batches, whisking until the soup thickens; stir in the cream, basil and salt and pepper to taste, and bring the soup just to a boil; remove from heat and serve.
My Mom came over for dinner tonight and I made this soup. It is heavenly! I agree it is too rich for everday but I bet I will start making this at least once a month. My mom wants a copy of the recipe too. And I even had to use dried basil because I forgot to pick up fresh. I can just imagine how it would taste with fresh basil!