Top Review by chia
5 stars for a very nice carmelized onion base. i tweaked this a bit, added beef soup base and water, thyme, cracked pepper and 1/4 cup brandy, served w/toasted bread and light parmesan- no leftovers:)
- 3 lbs onions
- 2 tablespoons light margarine
- beef bouillon
- Worcestershire sauce
- sourdough bread
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 whole bay leaf
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄4 cup port wine
- grated gruyere cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice the onions very thinly (very important).
- melt margerine over low heat and add onions.
- cook over low heat for 1- 1 1/2 hours until carmelized, stirring every five minutes.
- add garlic, thyme and bay leaf
- This will make about 3 cups of onions.
- For each cup add one cup of broth made from the boullion.
- Combine with 1/2- 1 Tbsp of worcestershire sauce (to taste). Add dry white wine and port wine
- Remove the bay leaf from the soup and ladle the soup into 4 individual soup bowls or crocks, leaving 1 inch from the top of each bowl. Cut the sourdough bread into chunks and add them to each bowl of soup.
- Garnish with grated Gruyère cheese (optional)
- Freeze the onions in one cup portions so you can make fresh soup whenever you want it.