Recipe by The Maltese Falcon ~ # 869978
The English cookery writer, Hanna Glasse published this recipe in the 1747 volume she signed only ‘’By A Lady’’. It is an amzing soup and a must for all soup lovers. We have served this many times and always run out as guests ask for seconds. Hope you enjoy as much as we do. Simply delicious -- Enjoy also as a lunchtime snack with hot crusty bread and some cheese.
- 12 medium Spanish onions, sliced
- 250 g butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 liters chicken stock (hot)
- 100 g day-old white bread, cut into small squares
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the butter in a pan.
- Add the onions and cook till translucent (15mins).
- Add the flour stir into the onions and cook for a few minutes.
- Add the hot stock and bring back to the boil.
- Once boiled add the bread and cook the soup for 15 more minutes, stir frequently.
- Beat the egg yolks with the vinegar, mix some of the soup with them, then stir the mixture into the rest of the soup, and mix well.
- Simmer for a few more minutes.