Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
A copycat recipe for Bennigans soup.
- 1⁄2 lb firm white onion, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons corn oil
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1 quart beef broth
- 8 slices French bread
- shredded swiss cheese, as needed
- freshly-grated parmesan cheese, as needed
- Sauté onions in butter and oil until onions are transparent, but not well browned. When tender, turn heat to lowest point and sprinkle with flour, stirring vigorously.
- Pour into Dutch oven and stir in broths. Heat thoroughly and divide among 8 oven-proof bowls. Float a slice of bread atop each serving. Mix equal parts of each cheese to smooth paste and spread over bread.
- Place all bowls on oven rack 4 inches from broiler heat and broil until cheese melts. Serve at once. Leftover soup freezes well up to 6 months.