1/1 Photo of Onion-Smothered Steak (Bife a Cebolada)
This Portuguese smothered steak recipe is adapted from the Williams - Sonoma Savoring Spain & Portugal cookbook. Traditionally fried potatoes are served with this dish. Note - the time shown does not include one hour of marinating time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper, freshly ground
- 32 ounces rib eye steaks (4 each 8 oz steaks)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cups yellow onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup canned plum tomatoes, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup tawny port
- 3 tablespoons Italian parsley, chopped
- 1In a small bowl, or mortar and pestle, combine 1 tbsp vinegar, 1 tsp garlic, paprika, and 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper. Mix to form a paste. Rub the paste on both sides of the steaks and set aside at room temperature to marinate for 1 hour.
- 2Warm the olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, until golden (about 25 min). Add remaining tsp garlic, the tomato, the remaining vinegar, and the bay leaf and port and simmer, uncovered, over medium heat for 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste and stir in the parsley. Remove from heat and set aside.
- 3Place 2 large heavy frying pans over high heat and sprinkle them both with salt. When the pans are very hot, add the steaks and cook over high heat, turning once, 3 - 5 minutes on each side for rare, or until desired doneness. Add the onion sauce and heat through, turning the steaks in the sauce to coat.
- 4Serve the steaks on a warm plate or platter and spoon the sauce on top.
Browse Our Top Steak Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Steak Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Onion-Smothered Steak (Bife a Cebolada)
Serving Size: 1 (381 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 813.4
- Calories from Fat 575
- Total Fat 63.9 g
- Saturated Fat 22.3 g
- Cholesterol 154.5 mg
- Sodium 496.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 5.7 g
- Protein 41.3 g