Recipe by CulinaryQueen
Comfort food at its best for those upcoming cool autumn evenings.
Top Review by Mirj
A great main dish for supper! The only change I made was to use red peppers instead of green. I served this up over rice with just a salad on the side. Lots of veggies, it really is almost a whole meal!
- 3 1⁄2 lbs chicken pieces
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 8 cups onions, thinly sliced (about 2 1/2 lbs.)
- 1 cup green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 cup whole kernel corn
- 1 cup sweet peas
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 3 tablespoons parsley, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- In large mixing bowl, toss the chicken with 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, 1/4 teaspoon cayenne and the flour.
- In a large heavy skillet (cast iron preferred) heat the oil over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, but not smoking, add the chicken and brown for about 6-8 minutes on each side.
- Add the onions, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon cayenne to the pan with the chicken. Stirring constantly, brown the onions, scraping the bottom to loosen any browned bits, for about 10 minutes.
- Add the bell peppers and bay leaf. Continue stirring, again scraping the bottom to loosen the brown bits for another 15 minutes.
- Add the water, cover and reduce the heat to medium. Stir occasionally and cook for about 30 minutes or until the chicken is tender.
- Add the corn, peas and mushrooms, cover and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the parsley and remove the bay leaf.
- Serve and enjoy.