Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 25 mins
Comfort food at its best for those upcoming cool autumn evenings.
Make and share this Onion Smothered Chicken recipe from Food.com.
- 3 1⁄2 lbs chicken pieces
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 8 cups onions, thinly sliced (about 2 1/2 lbs.)
- 1 cup green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 cup whole kernel corn
- 1 cup sweet peas
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 3 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- In large mixing bowl, toss the chicken with 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, 1/4 teaspoon cayenne and the flour.
- In a large heavy skillet (cast iron preferred) heat the oil over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, but not smoking, add the chicken and brown for about 6-8 minutes on each side.
- Add the onions, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon cayenne to the pan with the chicken. Stirring constantly, brown the onions, scraping the bottom to loosen any browned bits, for about 10 minutes.
- Add the bell peppers and bay leaf. Continue stirring, again scraping the bottom to loosen the brown bits for another 15 minutes.
- Add the water, cover and reduce the heat to medium. Stir occasionally and cook for about 30 minutes or until the chicken is tender.
- Add the corn, peas and mushrooms, cover and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the parsley and remove the bay leaf.
- Serve and enjoy.
A great main dish for supper! The only change I made was to use red peppers instead of green. I served this up over rice with just a salad on the side. Lots of veggies, it really is almost a whole meal!