Recipe by Marilou
Family insists I make this for Christmas dinner to go along with the prime rib. They even love it cold.
Top Review by nanpie
I clipped this same recipe from our local newpaper a couple of years ago. It's a very nice, very easy, savory sideside and a great way to soak up some delicious prime rib or roast beef juice. Use Vidalia onions if at all possible; yellow ones if not. Add more Tabasco and/or dill to taste. Enjoy!
- 1 large Spanish onion
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups Jiffy corn muffin mix
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup cream-style corn
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dill weed
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Melt the butter in medium size pan.
- Peel the onion and slice into 1/4 inch rings.
- Saute the onions in the butter until soft.
- Remove from heat.
- Combine muffin mix, egg, milk, corn and hot pepper sauce.
- Place in a buttered 8 inch square pan.
- (You can use a cooking spray) Add sour cream, salt, dill weed and 1/2 cup of the cheese to the sauted onions; combine and spread over the batter.
- Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until bubbly.
- Remove from oven and let cool for a few minutes before cutting into squares.