- 1 lb onion, thinly sliced (or finely chopped)
- 2 ounces butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 ounce cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the butter over a gentle heat.
- Add the onions and cook in a covered saucepan over a low heat until really soft but not browned.
- Season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Stir in the flour, add the milk and simmer gently for an additional 5 minutes until thickened.
- This sauce keeps for 3-4 days covered in the fridge.
- Variation: Onion and Mint Sauce.
- Add 2-3 tablespoons freshly chopped mint to the Onion Sauce before serving.