Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a wonderful chicken recipe. The chicken falls apart into the sauce once plated. Excellent with rice even better with my homemade rice pilaf. I have posted this recipe as well under Elaine's Rice Pilaf.
- 1 large Spanish onion
- 4 chicken breasts
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground thyme
- Peel and slice onion; set aside.
- Split whole chicken breasts.
- Combine 6 TBS of flour, 1 1/2 TSP salt and 1/4 TSP pepper in plastic bag. Add chicken a couple of pieces at a time and shake to coat.
- Heat oil in an oven proof skillet. Add chicken and brown on both sides. Remove chicken and set aside.
- Brown onion slices in same pan until golden. Add 3 TBS flour and stir to coat. Add chicken stock and cook until thickened. Add remaining remaining salt, pepper and thyme. Return chicken to the skillet and spoon gravy over.
- Bake at 350°F for 1 1/4 hours.
This is fabulous, only a few ingredients but really great flavour & easy to do, even toddler DD gobbled this up for the kid-friendly challenge. I also think some white wine would go nicely in this sauce. Thanks for posting!
I have made this for years. The only difference in how I make it is I add sliced mushrooms (fresh (sauted with the onion) or canned). Yum.
I have made this recipe twice in the past month and it makes me look like a Rockstar! It's cheap, simple and requires no real skill on my part. I have actually stretched it by slicing my boneless 1/2-inch chicken breasts in half (creating two 1/4-inch pieces from each). Also, since I don't have an oven-proof skillet that's large enough, I have no problem transferring it to a 9x13 baking dish. Thanks for a great go-to recipe for chicken!!