Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Serve hot with steaks, rabbit, boiled lamb, or corned beef. Makes about 2 cups.
- 2 medium onions (medium to large)
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- Cut the onions into eighths.
- In a heavy-based saucepan over medium heat, cook onions in milk, seasoned with nutmeg, salt, pepper and bay leaf. Cook until onions are soft. Remove bay leaf.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a medium saucepan; add flour, stirring for 3 minutes or until bubbly. Add flavored milk all at once and whisk to combine ingredients smoothly. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until just boiling; reduce heat and simmer for 5 to 7 minutes.
- If desired, strain the sauce through a fine sieve; return to saucepan to heat through.
- Serve hot.