Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
A stick-to-your-ribs recipe made with ground beef patties, tender onions and a rich gravy on top of toasted bread to make this Depression-era favorite.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 4 slices bread, toasted
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon beef bouillon granules
- In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, salt and pepper; shape into four oval patties. In a large skillet, brown patties on one side. Turn and add onions. Cook until meat is no longer pink.
- Place toast on serving plates. Top each with onions and a beef patty; keep warm.
- Stir flour into skillet until blended. Gradually add water; stir in bouillon. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Serve with meat and onions.
Great dish!!!!!!!!!! I served with mashed potatoes and cabbage. Easy and I had everything on hand. I was a bit confused by another viewer about the steak tasting like hamburger. It should taste like hamburger because it's made with ground beef. another name for this is Hamburger Steak. Made for I Recommend.
We really liked this - definitely good comfort food! I used 1 onion and 8 oz mushrooms. Based on other reviews, I started the onions first, to give them a longer cooking time, then added the patties. I used a 14 oz can of beef broth, instead of the water and bouillon and did not increase the flour - the consistancy of the gravy was perfect. I do think that next time, I'll use the 2nd onion, but I'll chop it and add it to the ground beef, to give the patties better texture and flavor. This was so good and easy, I'm sure I'll be making it often! Thank you!
This was really good, and so quick to make. Like some other reviewers, I added onions to the beef mix, and that added quite a bit of extra flavor. I served this with home-made mashed potatoes and a veggie side dish! Very tasty comfort food - will add it to the rotation. Thanks for posting - made for Spring PAC 2012.