Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
When I was in Turkey, this was served on the side along with Cacik when kebabs were ordered. I found this recipe in "Mediterranean Street Food" by Anissa Helou and adjusted it to how I remember eating it.
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced (I use a white onion)
- 1 tablespoon ground sumac
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Soak the onions in hot water for about 5 minutes. This will soften them slightly and help take out the sharpness of the onion.
- Drain and spread out on a paper towel. Blot dry.
- Put onions in a bowl and add sumac, lemon juice, and olive oil. Mix and serve.
- Ingredients should be adjusted to taste perhaps adding black pepper. I happen to like a lot of lemon juice and sumac.