Recipe by Kim D.
Posted this recipe as a request on the message board. I found the recipe in the "Blueberries and Polar Bears" cookbook. The recipe suggests serving this with "beef or Jalaneo Goose, or on top of a beef sandwich the next day!" I guessed on the serving size, because it wasn't given.
- 6 Spanish onions (whatever kind you have on hand)
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups mayonnaise or 1 1⁄4 cups similar salad dressing
- 2 tablespoons celery seeds
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice the onions very thin and place them in a plastic or glass dish.
- Combine the vinegar, water, sugar, and salt.
- Mix well to dissolve the sugar and salt.
- Pour over the sliced onions and mix well.
- Put a plate on top of the onions and set a weight on it.
- A plastic bottle of oil and vinegar works well.
- Let the onions sit on the counter all day- overnight is best.
- Drain the onions (You will wonder where all the liquid came from!).
- Combine the dressing and celery seed and toss with onions.
- Put in a serving bowl and serve.