Prep 8 hrs
Cook 0 mins
Posted this recipe as a request on the message board. I found the recipe in the "Blueberries and Polar Bears" cookbook. The recipe suggests serving this with "beef or Jalaneo Goose, or on top of a beef sandwich the next day!" I guessed on the serving size, because it wasn't given.
- 6 Spanish onions (whatever kind you have on hand)
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups mayonnaise or 1 1⁄4 cups similar salad dressing
- 2 tablespoons celery seeds
- Slice the onions very thin and place them in a plastic or glass dish.
- Combine the vinegar, water, sugar, and salt.
- Mix well to dissolve the sugar and salt.
- Pour over the sliced onions and mix well.
- Put a plate on top of the onions and set a weight on it.
- A plastic bottle of oil and vinegar works well.
- Let the onions sit on the counter all day- overnight is best.
- Drain the onions (You will wonder where all the liquid came from!).
- Combine the dressing and celery seed and toss with onions.
- Put in a serving bowl and serve.
How about serve it with a fork and a plate? I think I just had a tastegasm. This deserves 10 stars if you're an onion lover.
Very tasty. I did wonder where all the liquid came from. Don't be dumb like me and use a 5 lb bag of flour for a weight. (it was sitting there handy...) The bowl was chock full of onions with maybe an inch of vinegar mix. Next thing I knew, the flour was swimming in vinegar. (Where's my sign?)
I used white onions and followed the recipe. I put the mixture into a zip-lock bag left it a few inches un-zipped, set it into a bowl in case of overflow, there was none. I let it marinate over night. WOW!!! I thought what does this taste like? Then it dawned on me, sweet pickles but with an onion taste. I later added thinly sliced celery for extra crunch. I think these onions would work like a "top secret" special ingredient in potato salad! Shhh! It's our secret lol!