Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
Source: Let My People Eat!- Passover Meals Made Simple by Zell Schulman. I have made the necessary corrections to this recipe (regarding the eggs).
- 1 small onion, cut in half
- 1 tablespoon chicken fat (or margarine)
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 cup matzo meal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
EGG WASH (optional)
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Insert the metal blade in a food processor.
- With the machine running, drop the onion into the feed tube and process until minced (chop by hand, if desired).
- In a small skillet over medium- high heat, melt the chicken fat or margarine.
- Add the onion and saute until golden brown.
- Set aside.
- Over high heat, bring the oil and water to a boil in a large saucepan.
- Remove from the heat and add the matzo meal and 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Mix well with a wooden spoon.
- Place the mixture in a food processor (or a mixer).
- Add the 4 eggs, and the sauteed onion.
- Pulse until well mixed.
- Remove to a mixing bowl.
- Dipping your hands in the cold water, shape the dough into 2- inch rolls.
- Place about 2- inches apart on a greased cookie sheet.
- If using the egg wash, combine the egg and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt in a small bowl and brush this on the tops of the rolls.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cool for several minutes before removing from the baking sheet.
- Dough can be prepared ahead of time and refrigerated overnight.
I made these rolls for Passover this year. There is not enough Matzo Meal. I added 2-1/4 C of Matzo Meal and fresh Chives. MMMMMM!!! My guests couldn't get enough. I had to make more for the 2nd night.
Excellent recipe. But, the recipe ingredients call for 4 large eggs. In the directions, only 2 are added. Last year I used 4 eggs, but had to "up" the matzo meal to 1 1/2 cups. That worked well.