Cook2 hrs 30 mins
My local bagel shop makes onion breadsticks out of bagel dough scraps. And they inspired me to make these. They came out delicious, and of course with help from my bread machine they were super easy! I used the bagel recipe from my bread machine manual but substituted all purpose flour instead of bread flour that is normally used in a bagel. We will be enjoying them tonight with steak and steamed broccoli.
- Add water (yes 3/4 cup AND the 2tbs) to the bread machine followed by the lemon juice, sugar, flour, and then the yeast.
- Set bread machine to the dough setting and start the cycle.
- When cycle is done, remove dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead about 5 minutes.
- Using a floured rolling pin, roll dough out into a large rectangle.
- Sprinkle dough with about 3/4 of the onions, reserving some to sprinkle on top later.
- Starting from the side closest to you roll the dough up into a tube shape.
- Slice the dough into 1 inch slices as if you were making cinnamon rolls.
- Place each slice, on it's side, on a greased baking sheet and cover loosely with plastic wrap.
- Allow rolls to rise for about 30 mins or until doubled in size. At this time you can sprinkle the remaining diced onions on the tops of each roll.
- While rising, preheat oven to 400 degrees farenheit.
- Bake about 20-25 mins or until golden brown.
- Cool and enjoy!
I made these yesterday and they were very good. The dough was easy to make in the bread machine. I caramelized the onions that were sprinkled on the top for a little sweet flavor. Next time, I will put them in a 13x9 to rise and bake and I will add a little egg wash to the tops to help the onions stay on top. Thank you for posting!!!!