1/7 Photos of Onion Rolls, Bread Machine
These are easy with the help of your bread machine and taste way better than the store bought rolls. Directions are given for a 1 1/2 lb. machine. Note: in my photo the rolls are pictured with "Excellent Pulled Pork", which is delicious! 6/20/10 note: Many reviewers have noted the dough seems sticky. I always watch my machine as it starts to knead the dough and if it is looking sticky at the time, add more flour then. However, I am changing the recipe from 3 Cups flour to 3 1/4 cups flour today so definitely don't add additional flour unless the dough looks too moist.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup onion, minced
- 3/4 cup water, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons water, room temperature
- 1 egg
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons nonfat dry milk powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons yeast
- 1In a small skillet over medium heat, melt the butter; add onion. Saute onion about 10 minutes until tender, but not browned. Remove pan from heat and allow onion to cool slightly.
- 2Reserve 1/4 cup of the onion mixture; set aside. Place remaining onion mixture and dough ingredients in bread pan, select the Dough setting, and press start.
- 3When dough cycle is complete, turn dough onto a floured countertop or cutting board. Gently roll and stretch dough into a 12-inch rope. With a sharp knife, divide dough into 10 pieces.
- 4Grease a large baking sheet. Roll each piece of dough into a ball and then flatten slightly. Place rolls on prepared sheet. In a small bowl, beat together remaining egg and 1/2 teaspoon salt; brush egg mixture over each roll. Spread approximately 1 teaspoon of reserved onion mixture on each roll. Let rise in warm oven 30 to 45 minutes until doubled. (Hint: To warm oven slightly turn oven on Warm setting for 2 minutes, then turn it off and place covered dough in oven to rise. Remove sheet from oven to preheat.).
- 5Preheat oven to 375°F Bake rolls 20 minutes until they are golden and onion is brown, but not burnt. Remove from oven and cool on racks.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Onion Rolls, Bread Machine
Serving Size: 1 (96 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 220.1
- Calories from Fat 54
- Total Fat 6.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.3 g
- Cholesterol 49.7 mg
- Sodium 414.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 6.5 g