Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a different and very delicious side dish. It is a lovely accompaniment to roasted poultry, I make it quite often for the holidays.
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 3 medium onions, sliced thinly
- 3 small shallots, chopped
- 1 pinch brown sugar
- 3 bell peppers, roasted,red,yellow or orange,or a combination of colours (you can buy these bottled)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage or 2 tablespoons dried sage, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Heat oil in a skillet Add onions and shallots; cook on med heat until soft and golden, about 15 mins, stirring frequently, adding brown sugar midway Reduce heat as necessary Spoon into a serving dish Add peppers and their juices, sage and salt, toss well Serve warm.
Really good! We used scallions because we didn't have regular onions.
If you love peppers and you love sage, you'll love this recipe. I just had to add some garlic (in with the onions), but otherwise made this exactly to the recipe, using 2 red and 1 yellow peppers. A great side dish which would complement most main dishes. Loved it! Thanks, KITTENCAL, for sharing another wonderful recipe!
This is an unusual combination that works! Its also a quick & easy weeknight side dish, especially if the peppers are pre-roasted (like mine) or jarred. I scaled the recipe in half & made 2 changes to the recipe: I skipped the brown sugar as I felt the dish had enough sweetness. I added the peppers & their juices as soon as the veggies were cooked to allow them to reheat. Thanx Carol!