Recipe by hsusu1
Delicious Onion Rings with Chipotle Powder. It has a smokey flavored kick to them. Measurements are approximate; I eyeball it. I deep fry. I originaly started with the Fried Vegetables recipe on the back of the Kentucky Kernel Seasoned Flour from Hudgson Mill, Inc.. It was way too salty for my taste. So I added the rest, and now I love the taste. Probably good for other vegetables too.
- 1 large vidalia onion
- 5 tablespoons kentuckey kernel seasoned flour
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄2 cup artisan 100% organic all-purpose wheat flour (King Arthur brand)
- 1 tablespoon powdered chipotle pepper (I like things medium hot.)
- 3⁄4 tablespoon garlic powder (I tend to go heavy on the garlic)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon onion powder
- peanut oil (for frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat deep fryer oil to 350 deg.
- Mix batter: Kentuckey Kernel Flour, egg and water.
- Slice onion in thick rings, and separated.
- Mix DRY INGREDIENTS [mix in large plastic baggie]: All purpose flour, Chipotle Chili Powder, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, and set aside.
- Dip individual onion rings into batter.
- Take onion rings out of batter and place in dry ingredients, coat liberally.
- Fry a few coated onions in at least 2 inches of 350 deg. oil for 2-3 minutes. Several batches may be needed. I just keep the onion rings in the baggie until I have room for them in the oil.