Recipe by thebean333
Got this recipe from Hungry Girl and one whole onion is only 155 calories!!!. You can also use the basic recipe for Jalapeno poppers. But give this a try you will not be sorry.
- 1 large onion
- 1⁄2 cup Fiber One cereal
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder (to taste)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon onion powder (to taste)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup fat free egg substitute (like Egg Beaters Original)
- vivi's original sauce classic carnival mustard (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Slice the ends off the onion and remove its outer layer. Cut onion into 1/2-inch-wide slices and separate into rings. Set aside.
- Using a blender or food processor, grind cereal to a breadcrumb-like consistency. Season crumbs with the spices and transfer to a plate or bowl. Set aside.
- Fill a small bowl with egg substitute. Prepare a baking sheet (or two) by spraying with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- Pop-Up Tip! For the following step, use tongs or a fork to dip the rings into the egg substitute and cereal crumbs -- it'll keep your fingers from getting eggy & crumb-covered. (Don't pierce the rings with the fork; just balance them on it.).
- One at a time, dunk each ring in egg substitute, give it a shake to remove any excess, and then coat it in the seasoned crumbs. Evenly place rings on the baking sheet(s).
- Bake in the oven until outsides are crispy and insides are soft, 20 - 25 minutes, carefully flipping rings over about halfway through. Serve with mustard, if using. Enjoy!
- MAKES 1 SERVING.
- HG FYI: You'll only need about 1/4 cup egg substitute to coat your rings, but using 1/2 cup makes it soooo much easier.