Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Got this recipe from Hungry Girl and one whole onion is only 155 calories!!!. You can also use the basic recipe for Jalapeno poppers. But give this a try you will not be sorry.
- 1 large onion
- 1⁄2 cup Fiber One cereal
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder (to taste)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon onion powder (to taste)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup fat free egg substitute (like Egg Beaters Original)
- vivi's original sauce classic carnival mustard (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Slice the ends off the onion and remove its outer layer. Cut onion into 1/2-inch-wide slices and separate into rings. Set aside.
- Using a blender or food processor, grind cereal to a breadcrumb-like consistency. Season crumbs with the spices and transfer to a plate or bowl. Set aside.
- Fill a small bowl with egg substitute. Prepare a baking sheet (or two) by spraying with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- Pop-Up Tip! For the following step, use tongs or a fork to dip the rings into the egg substitute and cereal crumbs -- it'll keep your fingers from getting eggy & crumb-covered. (Don't pierce the rings with the fork; just balance them on it.).
- One at a time, dunk each ring in egg substitute, give it a shake to remove any excess, and then coat it in the seasoned crumbs. Evenly place rings on the baking sheet(s).
- Bake in the oven until outsides are crispy and insides are soft, 20 - 25 minutes, carefully flipping rings over about halfway through. Serve with mustard, if using. Enjoy!
- MAKES 1 SERVING.
- HG FYI: You'll only need about 1/4 cup egg substitute to coat your rings, but using 1/2 cup makes it soooo much easier.