- 8 large onions
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons cornmeal
- 4 tablespoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon orange food coloring
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine flour, corn meal, onion powder, salt, milk, egg and water in a large mixing bowl and stir well and there are no lumps.
- Add food color if you prefer a nicer color to the finished batter.
- Slice the onions thick (about 1/2").
- Use only the outer rings for best appearance and dip into batter.
- Drop coated rings into deep fryer and cook until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels and serve.