Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
These onion rings are kinda like the ones at one of my favorite restaurants. I came home CRAVING these and at midnight, set to recreate them. They taste just exactly like my favorites. YUMMMY!!
- 1 cup packaged tempura mix
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 dash ground black pepper
- 3⁄4 cup water (see note below)
- 1 large onion, sliced into rings
- oil, for frying
- Mix together tempura with seasonings and set in the refrigerator for thirty minutes.
- Heat oil to 375 degrees. Prepare a dish with paper towels to drain oil.
- Lightly salt onion rings and dip in the batter. Deep fry until the rings are golden brown and place on draining towels.
- Serve hot with condiments.
- **NOTE: If desired, you can replace 1/4 of the cup of water with a flat beer. It will enhance the flavor of the batter. Cooking time also reflects the batter resting time.**.
Delicious!! The coating was thick and stuck well to the onion rings and fried up nicely! My DH added a dash of dill to the batter which was nice but not necessary. We ate with Outback Steakhouse's Dipping Sauce and thoroughly enjoyed!! Thank you for a fun weekend treat!!