Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 hrs
I ate this salad at a barbecue in 1975 whilst working in Saudi Arabia, It doesn't taste like onions! The recipe was given to me by the american housewife who was hosting the barbecue.
- 3 red onions
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- milk (to thin the mayonnaise)
- Mix sugar, salt water and vinegar together, slice the onions and add to the vinegar mixture.
- Refrigerate over night.
- To the cup of mayonnaise (in a screw top jar) add the celery seed, shake, adding some milk until you have a not too runny or thick mixture.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Drain onion rings and pat dry, add to the celery seed mayonnaise mixture .
- Perfect accompaniment and a MUST to every barbecue.
Simply delicious--and so easy to make! We used regular onions; it was quite strong, but still sooooo good. Next time we'll use red onions.
very tasty and it really doesn't taste like onions at all, no onion breath!!