Recipe by JustJanS
Poor man's fried rice-it tastes great! Prep time doesn't allwo for standing of washed rice.
Top Review by angelreed
Delicious and very easy! I've made this several times, and it's a very flexible recipe. It's easy to make substitutions depending on what's in your cupboard. You really can't go wrong!
- 1 1⁄2 cups basmati rice
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 cardamom pods (give them a whack to break open a little)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 green chili pepper, minced
- 3 cups cold water
- 1 cup peas (fresh or frozen)
- vegetable oil (for deep frying)
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and diced
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash rice under cold running water drain and allow to stand 20 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy based frying pan and fry the cardamom and cumin for a few seconds.
- Add the onions and fry for 10 minutes until soft and golden brown.
- Add the ginger, garlic and chili and fry a few seconds more.
- Add the rice and stir to coat in the onion mixture.
- Add the cold water and bring to the boil.
- When almost all the water has evaporated add the peas.
- In the meantime, fill a wok or frypan a third full with the vegetabel oil, heat and fry the diced potatoes for 5-7 minutes until golden.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on absorbent kitchen paper.
- When the rice is cooked, gently mix through the fried potatoes and serve.