3 hrs 10 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
Recipe source: Martha Stewart Living
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Butter a 9-inch round cake pan and set aside.
- 2Butter a large bowl and set aside.
- 3In a small bowl combine yeast, sugar and water. Let mixture stand 5 minutes or until foamy and then stir until dissolved. Stir in buttermilk and egg.
- 4In a large mixing bowl combine 2 1/4 cups flour and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in buttermilk/yeast mixture, stirring to combine. Stir in 6 tablespoons softened butter and mix on medium high speed using dough hooks on an electric mixer for 10 minutes or mix by hand with a wooden spoon until a soft dough forms.
- 5Put dough on a floured board and sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons flour. Knead until smooth (5 minutes).
- 6Transfer dough to the buttered bowl and cover with plastic wrap and/or a damp towel. Let rise until double (1 hour).
- 7Slice 1 1/2 pound of the onions into 1/4-inch slices and chop the remaining 1/2 pound onions.
- 8Melt remaining 4 tablespoons butter in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Add onions, raise heat to high, and cook, stirring for 5 minutes or until onions are soft. Remove from heat. Stir in nutmeg and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Let cool.
- 9Punch down dough and turn onto a floured board. Roll dough into a 17x10-inch rectangle and brush with 3 tablespoons melted butter. Spread onions over dough.
- 10Starting at one long edge, roll dough into a log, pressing seam to seal.
- 11Cut into 12 slices.
- 12Arrange slices, cut side up, in the prepared pan and brush with 2 tablespoons melted butter. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 1 hour or until doubled.
- 13Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 14Bake rolls for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Onion Pull Apart Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (1793 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 302.4
- Calories from Fat 153
- Total Fat 17.0 g
- Saturated Fat 10.1 g
- Cholesterol 58.9 mg
- Sodium 134.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 5.1 g
- Protein 5.3 g