Recipe by ellie_
Recipe source: Martha Stewart Living
Top Review by Chef Kate
Oh my these are good! I did cut down on the butter a bit and substituted olive oil for some of the butter in the dough. It's a lovely dough to work with and rolling and cutting is very simple. The result is a beautiful, very aromatic pan of rolls with a nice crust on top and soft and chewy insides. Thanks, Ellie!
- 1 cup butter, divided (2 sticks)
- 1 tablespoon yeast (1 envelope)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 3⁄4 cups flour, plus
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 2 lbs onions
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Butter a 9-inch round cake pan and set aside.
- Butter a large bowl and set aside.
- In a small bowl combine yeast, sugar and water. Let mixture stand 5 minutes or until foamy and then stir until dissolved. Stir in buttermilk and egg.
- In a large mixing bowl combine 2 1/4 cups flour and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in buttermilk/yeast mixture, stirring to combine. Stir in 6 tablespoons softened butter and mix on medium high speed using dough hooks on an electric mixer for 10 minutes or mix by hand with a wooden spoon until a soft dough forms.
- Put dough on a floured board and sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons flour. Knead until smooth (5 minutes).
- Transfer dough to the buttered bowl and cover with plastic wrap and/or a damp towel. Let rise until double (1 hour).
- Slice 1 1/2 pound of the onions into 1/4-inch slices and chop the remaining 1/2 pound onions.
- Melt remaining 4 tablespoons butter in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Add onions, raise heat to high, and cook, stirring for 5 minutes or until onions are soft. Remove from heat. Stir in nutmeg and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Let cool.
- Punch down dough and turn onto a floured board. Roll dough into a 17x10-inch rectangle and brush with 3 tablespoons melted butter. Spread onions over dough.
- Starting at one long edge, roll dough into a log, pressing seam to seal.
- Cut into 12 slices.
- Arrange slices, cut side up, in the prepared pan and brush with 2 tablespoons melted butter. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 1 hour or until doubled.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Bake rolls for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown.