Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs 30 mins
I've tried many pot roast recipes but this is my favourite. Its my adaptation from the Lipton Onion Soup box.....I'm so cheeky, I even use "no name soup mix"! Just add Yorkshire Pudding & you've got a tasty dinner. When I make this for 2 people, I use the leftovers in Beef Vegetable soup or Beef Barley soup.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 lbs boneless beef rump roast or 3 lbs blade roast
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1⁄2 cup apple juice
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1 (1 ounce) packet onion soup mix
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 carrots
- 4 potatoes
- 4 stalks celery
- cornstarch, to thicken
- Heat oil in dutch oven over medium high heat.
- Braise meat for about 5 minutes, turning often until browned on all sides.
- Remove, set aside and keep warm.
- Saute onions in dutch oven until limp.
- Add broth, apple juice, wine, onion soup mix& spices and stir well.
- Return beef to dutch oven.
- Roast at 325°F for 2 1/2 hours, turning beef about every 30 minutes.
- Cut vegetables into chunks, add to pot and cook for about another hour or until cooked to desired doneness.
- Remove veggies and beef and keep warm until ready to serve; for a thicker gravy, use corn starch.
I cooked this roast just the way you told me too, and it turned out tender and tasty! The vegs. were good too. The juices mixed together well and it was devoured! Thanks!
The meat was tough-I would not cook in such a short amount of time and I'll get a fattier piece of meat. This wasn't too good-crock pot on low is the way to go!!
Very good comfort food at its best. Skipped the wine but doubled the apple juice. Served with crescent rolls and apple pie with cool whip -- great meal. Thanks for sharing!