Recipe by CountryLady
I've tried many pot roast recipes but this is my favourite. Its my adaptation from the Lipton Onion Soup box.....I'm so cheeky, I even use "no name soup mix"! Just add Yorkshire Pudding & you've got a tasty dinner. When I make this for 2 people, I use the leftovers in Beef Vegetable soup or Beef Barley soup.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 lbs boneless beef rump roast or 3 lbs blade roast
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1⁄2 cup apple juice
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1 (1 ounce) packet onion soup mix
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 carrots
- 4 potatoes
- 4 stalks celery
- cornstarch, to thicken
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in dutch oven over medium high heat.
- Braise meat for about 5 minutes, turning often until browned on all sides.
- Remove, set aside and keep warm.
- Saute onions in dutch oven until limp.
- Add broth, apple juice, wine, onion soup mix& spices and stir well.
- Return beef to dutch oven.
- Roast at 325°F for 2 1/2 hours, turning beef about every 30 minutes.
- Cut vegetables into chunks, add to pot and cook for about another hour or until cooked to desired doneness.
- Remove veggies and beef and keep warm until ready to serve; for a thicker gravy, use corn starch.