Recipe by MarieRynr
This is a delicious flatbread that takes well to cream cheese. These freeze nicely, especially if you enjoy them split, toasted and slathered with cream cheese.
- 1⁄4 cup cornmeal, for sprinkling
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons instant yeast
- 5 teaspoons sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 5 -5 1⁄2 cups bread flour
- 1⁄2 cup instant minced onion (you may substitute 1 cup finely chopped onion for this, but the dehydtated onion is easier to work w)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 egg, beaten with
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt, for sprinkling (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Stack 2 baking sheets together and line the top one with parchment paper.
- Sprinkle with cornmeal and repeat with 2 more baking sheets.
- Set aside.
- For the dough, hand whisk the water and yeast together in the bowl of an electric mixer to dissolve the yeast.
- Stir in the sugar, salt and 3 1/2 cups of the flour and mix to make a soft mass.
- Knead with the dough hook on the lowest speed for 8 to 10 minutes, gradually adding more flour as needed to form a soft dough.
- Place the bowl inside a large plastic bag, loosely close, and let rest for about 45 minutes, until almost doubled in size.
- For the topping, soak the onion in hot water to cover for 15 minutes.
- Drain well and toss with the oil and poppy seeds.
- Set aside.
- Gently punch down the dough.
- turn out onto a lightly floured surface and divide into 8 portions.
- Let rest for 10 minutes.
- Stretch or roll each portion into a 4 to 5 inch oval or circle.
- Don't overwork the dough.
- Place on prepared baking sheets.
- Lightly glaze with the egg wash.
- Spoon about 2 TBs of the topping all over each pletzel and sprinkle with coarse salt.
- Place the baking sheets inside large plastic bags, close loosely and let riase for 30 to 40 minutes until puffy.
- Preheat oven to 450*F.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until golden brown.
- Let cool on wire racks for at least 15 minutes before removing from pans.