From the New York Times: This luxurious pizza is topped with tender caramelized onions spread over a creamy mixture of ricotta, Parmesan cheese and chopped Swiss chard.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/4 lbs onions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leave, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 lb chard leaves, stemmed, leaves washed
- 14 inches pizza crusts (1/2 batch pizza dough)
- 3/4 cup ricotta cheese (6 ounces)
- 2 ounces parmesan cheese, grated (1/2 cup, tightly packed)
- 1 egg yolk
- 1Thirty minutes before baking the pizza, preheat the oven to 500 degrees. Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large, heavy skillet. Add the onions. Cook, stirring often, until tender and just beginning to color, about 10 minutes. Add the thyme, garlic and a generous pinch of salt. Turn the heat to low, cover and cook another 10 to 20 minutes, stirring often, until the onions are golden brown and very sweet and soft. Remove from the heat.
- 2While the onions are cooking, stem and wash the chard leaves, and bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Fill a medium bowl with ice water. When the water comes to a boil, salt generously and add the chard. Blanch for one to two minutes, just until the leaves are tender, and transfer to the ice water. Drain and squeeze out excess water. Alternatively, steam the chard for two to three minutes until wilted, and rinse with cold water. Chop the chard medium-fine.
- 3Roll out the dough, oil a 14-inch pizza pan and dust with cornmeal or semolina. Place the dough on the pan.
- 4In a medium bowl, combine the ricotta, egg yolk, Parmesan and chard. Spread over the pizza dough in an even layer, leaving a 1-inch border around the rim. Spread the onions over the ricotta mixture.
- 5Place in the hot oven, and bake 10 to 15 minutes until the crust and bits of the onion are nicely browned. Remove from the heat, and serve hot or warm.
Browse Our Top Chard Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chard Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Onion Pizza With Ricotta and Chard
Serving Size: 1 (135 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 141.7
- Calories from Fat 81
- Total Fat 9.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.8 g
- Cholesterol 38.7 mg
- Sodium 192.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 6.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: