Recipe by LorenLou
Very rich and delicious....serve with any roasted or grilled meat....from an internet source, sorry I can't remember which!
Top Review by GinaJohnson
The filling was delicious (I added ham), but the crust...eh. Maybe with a regular pie crust? or pre-bake the cracker crust? I don't know, but as it was, it didn't work. We LOVED the filling, however!
- 1 cup crushed saltine crackers
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced yellow onions (Texas 1015 or other sweet onion preferred)
- 1 cup milk, scalded
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 300.
- Lightly spray a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Combine the cracker crumbs with half of the melted butter.
- Press the crumb mixture into the casserole dish, forming a crust.
- Saute the remaining butter with the onions until onions are transparent.
- Spread the onions over the cracker crust.
- Combine the scalded milk, eggs and cheese, and pour over the onions.
- Sprinkle the salt and pepper on top.
- Bake for 40 minutes.