Recipe by acid.
Dont let the name turn you off. This is excellent with roast beef and gravy.
Top Review by Mirj
When I order pizza I usually like onions as my topping, especially fried onions. This pie reminds me of a very overloaded onion pizza, without the tomato sauce and cheese, or course! I made the dough in the food processor and love the fact that you don't have to roll it out, I just patted into the baking dish. I would edit the recipe a bit because the shortening is the last ingredient listed, although it is part of the dough and not the topping, so it should be higher up on the ingredient list, together with the flour and baking powder. In fact, I would edit the whole list and put the ingredients in the order needed. Otherwise, if you really don't read through the whole recipe first you might make a mistake. The pie isn't high as a quiche, but makes a lovely nosh or appetizer.
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 milk
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 5 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups onions (sliced into half moons)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shortening
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onion in butter until golden.
- Season with half the salt and pepper.
- Set aside.
- Stir together flour, baking powder and remaining salt.
- Cut shortening into mixture until you have the texture of coarse crumbs.
- Add milk to from dough.
- Spread dough into 10x10 baking dish.
- Spread onion mixture over the dough.
- Beat together egg and sour cream and pour over the onions.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Remove and cut into squares after slightly cooled.