Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
My friend's aunt Eulala handed this recipe down to her. It has a strange name, but everyone who tries it, loves it! It's a little like a quiche, but oh! so much simpler. Thanks for sharing, Bonnie!
- 30 small saltine crackers
- 3⁄4 cup butter (divided)
- 3 cups onions, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 lb grated cheddar cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk, scalded and cooled
- 3 beaten eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- Make crust by crushing the crackers and adding 1/2 cup of the butter, melted. Press into the bottom of an 8x8-inch baking pan.
- Sauté the onions in the last 1/4 cup of the butter until the onions are soft and golden. Pour the onions over the crust.
- Sprinkle the grated cheese over the onions.
- Add the beaten eggs to the scalded milk. with the salt and pepper. Pour over all.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Bake for 30 minutes or until the custard is set.
We love onions, but this is one recipe we will NOT try again.
The recipe was very easy to make and colorfull. I used Vandallia onions for the onions. Served with grilled chicken thighs. Not having had Onion Pie before, this was out of the ordinary for our table. Liked the chedder, but I wonder how a swiss cheese would be. Using a stronger onion than I did I believe would help.