Recipe by Chris Reynolds
My friend's aunt Eulala handed this recipe down to her. It has a strange name, but everyone who tries it, loves it! It's a little like a quiche, but oh! so much simpler. Thanks for sharing, Bonnie!
- 30 small saltine crackers
- 3⁄4 cup butter (divided)
- 3 cups onions, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 lb grated cheddar cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk, scalded and cooled
- 3 beaten eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Make crust by crushing the crackers and adding 1/2 cup of the butter, melted. Press into the bottom of an 8x8-inch baking pan.
- Sauté the onions in the last 1/4 cup of the butter until the onions are soft and golden. Pour the onions over the crust.
- Sprinkle the grated cheese over the onions.
- Add the beaten eggs to the scalded milk. with the salt and pepper. Pour over all.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Bake for 30 minutes or until the custard is set.