Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This goes really well with grilled or BBQ chicken
- 60 g butter
- 3 onions, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1⁄2 cups shelled peas
- Melt butter in a large pan, add onion and garlic, stir and cook for 5 mins until soft and golden colour.
- Add rice and stock, bring to the boil, stir.
- Reduce heat to low simmer uncovered for 5 mins or until almost all of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Add peas, stir until combined.
- Cover pan and cook over very low heat for another 10 mins or until rice is tender.
- Stir in parmesan cheese and parsley and serve immediately.
As Chia says , this was more like a risotto than a pilaf, never the less the taste is outstanding, we loved it. I scaled the recipe to half and it still turned out good and had to use chicken stock, had no veggie stock, but I did use the 2 garlic cloves. We enjoyed this very much, thanks for sharing.
this was definitely more like a risotto with creamy rice, carmelized onions and the cheese thickened it nicely. i used fresh chives and parsley at the end for some additional color/flavor. nice side dish, thanks.