Recipe by Kelly M.
This quick batter bread is fabulous! If you love the taste of carmelized onions and sweet brown sugar, you must try it! It is more of a biscuit style bread, and best when still warm from the oven, but this is one of the few breads that can successfully be gently reheated in the microwave or oven. The onions form a sweet bottom layer, as they don't actually bake into the bread. I've used less onions than the recipe calls for due to not having enough, and it came out fine, but if you have enough use them all! The onions are so sweet I could almost eat it as dessert. From "How to Cook Everything".
Top Review by Kitty Z
We love onions, so this was sure to go over well. Next time I think I will take Jezski's suggestion and put a layer of batter on the bottom, because it was a bit tricky to serve neatly. I'll definitely be making this one again, though!
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 cups sliced onions, 1/4 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk (I used skim)
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil or 1⁄4 cup other neutral oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat.
- Add onion and saute until softened and starting to become golden, about 10 minutes.
- Grease a 9-inch pie plate with remaining tablespoon butter and sprinkle bottom with brown sugar.
- When onions are done, spread out evenly over brown sugar.
- In large bowl combine flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- In small bowl combine egg, milk and oil.
- Quickly mix wet ingredients into the flour mix.
- Spread batter over onions and bake for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Serve warm.