Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a savory way to get plenty of cholesterol-lowering onions into your diet. Taken from the "Quick and Healthy Low Fat Cooking" cookbook.
- 2 cups onions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons romano cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups fat free egg substitute
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons margarine
- Place the onions and oil in a 2-quart casserole.
- Cover with a lid or vented plastic wrap and microwave on high for 4 minutes, or until tender.
- Transfer to a large no-stick frying pan.
- Saute over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the bread crumbs, Romano cheese, basil, mustard and pepper.
- Transfer to a medium bowl and set aside.
- In another medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and water.
- Wipe out the frying pan with paper towels.
- Place it over medium-high heat.
- Add 1 tsp margarine and swirl the pan.
- Add half the eggs.
- Lift and rotate the pan so the eggs are evenly distributed.
- As the eggs set around the edges, lift them to allow uncooked portions to flow underneath.
- When the eggs are mostly set, spread half of the onion mixture over them.
- Use a spatula to fold the omelet in half.
- Transfer to a serving platter.
- Repeat with the remaining margarine, eggs and filling.